The Green Party aims to transition our economy into one that promotes a dignified life for everyone while regenerating the environment upon which we all depend. As we power up with green energy generation we simultaneously have to power down on our energy and electricity consumption. Because even with renewables we can’t keep consuming at our current rate.
Green Party policy, and more specifically, our Green New Deal create a path for addressing the social and environmental justice issues created by our current building stock and the consumption of energy and address these issues in ways that work for people and place.
WHAT ARE THE GREEN PARTY’S MAIN AREAS OF FOCUS FOR GREEN ENERGY?
- CREATING GREEN ENERGY: Much of the harm we’ve been doing to the environment is caused by the extraction and burning of fossil fuels, Green Energy replaces fossil fuels and stabilizes the damage we’re doing. Because, as David shares, merely stopping emissions doesn’t reduce the amount of carbon dioxide trapped in our atmosphere (which causes global heating and creates climate breakdown).
- FACILITATING ACTIVE TRAVEL: Walking and cycling ideally, and electric cars when needed. These acts also benefit communites.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT BUILDINGS: Some of the ways to reduce electricity and energy consumption is through (deep) Retrofitting existing homes to provide Green, warm homes and reduce carbon emissions. This will prevent fuel poverty and create quality jobs for local communities in every area of the UK. All new builds should meet Passivhaus (or equivalent) standard which uses 90% less energy for heating than the average home – saving people money while saving the environment. Greens believe lower-income households should be the first to receive green homes and all new builds should be close to pedestrian accessible transport routes, as well as local shops and schools.
- REDUCING TRANSPORT: drastic reduction in flights, mode shift from driving a car to take public transport, reducing overall travel.
- CARBON CAPTURE & SEQUESTRATION: a set of technologies which take carbon dioxide out of the air, or out of the emissions from an industrial process, capture the co2, compress it, and pump it out in pipes into the rock formations that for millions of years stored natural gas.
HOW ARE GREEN PARTY POLICIES CREATED?
Green Party members help shape our policies at our bi-annual conferences working together to create a pathway towards the web of change we hope to deliver. One that devolves power to communities, enhances the lives and rights of all living things, and bring justice and equity to both people and planet.
HOW CAN YOU HELP CREATE GREEN PARTY POLICY?
- JOIN THE GREEN PARTY as a Member
- COME TO CONFERENCE our next conference (Green Party members only) is in October 2021
- JOIN A POLICY WORKING GROUP you must be a Green Party member to join any of the groups, and sign in as a member to access this URL: https://members.greenparty.org.uk/policy-working-groups
- COME TO POLICY FEST you must be a Green Party member to join policy fest, and sign in as a member to access the URL: https://members.greenparty.org.uk/policyfest2021