The Green Party has been proposing radical and necessary action on climate change for the past three decades. We were talking about these issues when most other politicians were either in ignorance or denial. We have the courage to demand the sort of action that the science and social justice dictates rather than limiting our policy ambition to what big business will tolerate.
The ten policies we highlight here are not enough on their own to ensure that the UK plays its proportionate part in ensuring that the world stays within the 1.5C warming limit. But they are far more radical than what is being proposed by any other political party. We are highlighting them to demonstrate what real ambition on climate actually looks like.
OUR FRAMEWORK FOR HOW TO STRUCTURE A POLICY RESPONSE TO THE CLIMATE EMERGENCY
- To drive change we need five year plans focussing on actual emissions reductions each year.
- Due to the UK’s large historic emissions, we have a strong moral and scientific case for leading the way on achieving net zero as quickly as possible.
- No exceptions: all sectors must play their part, meaning emissions from aviation and shipping have to be included in UK climate targets.
- No fancy accounting and offsets: we must take responsibility for our emissions domestically.
- We must aim to reach net zero as quickly as is feasibly possible in order to reduce risk for the planet and ensure future generations are not left to pick up the bill for harm they did not do.
Read more about our 10 point climate plan here.