In this important Green Talks, Green Party co-leader hosted George Monbiot, Joycelyn Longdon and Green Peer Natalie Bennett, to discuss why we are seeing empty shelves in the supermarkets so frequently and what we can do to solve the food shortages.
The panellists offered their expert opinions on pathways out of the crisis, and although the solution does not have one answer, they all agreed that we need to build a resilient and sustainable food system that lifts people out of food poverty and insecurity and provides the UK with a proper food strategy that is fit for the future. Catch a reprise of the full discussion below!
During the discussion, the panellists gave mention to a range of brilliant resources, including:
- Find out more about Green Party food and agriculture policies.
- How can we reform the food system so that it produces the food we really need? Natalie Bennett writes more about that in Green World.
- What is land for? We need to overhaul how and what we grow to make the most of our land and fight climate change.
- George Monbiot has written several essays and books on the topic – including ‘The Hunger Gap’. Find out more about them and how to access them here.
- Find out more about Joycelyn Longdon and her organisation Climate in Colour, where you can learn more about climate justice.
- What a food strategy for England could look like.
- House of Lords Committee report on England needing a land use framework.
- Learn more about Food Sovereignty at Climate in Colour’s course.
Help elect more Greens that take the climate crisis seriously by:
- Helping us double our Green councillors in Newham! Sunday 25 June in Upton Park – Green Party Migrant & Refugee Support Spokesperson, Benali Hamdache is coming, are you?
- Joining our Action Day with Green Peer Jenny Jones 2 July to help win a crucial council by-election in the heart of Waveney Valley constituency.
- Coming to our Action Day with Green Peer Natalie Bennett 9 July in Norfolk to help elect Adrian Ramsay as one of our next Green MPs!
- Attending Bristol Summer Special Action Weekend 15-16 July to help elect Carla Denyer as one of our next Green MPs!