In this first Green Talks event, we discussed our broken voting system, its challenges and what it would take to fix it. Green Peer Natalie Bennett was joined by Green Party Deputy Leader Zack Polanski, Green Party Councillor Nate Higgins and Owen Winter, Co-founder and Researcher at Make Votes Matter.
We looked at the problem with first past the post and what proportional representation, the idea that seats in Parliament are proportional to the votes cast, would offer as an alternative. The panel also explored the link between electoral systems and climate action, the far right and political participation. Finally, we asked: what can we all do to help achieve a fairer and more equal voting system?
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ACHIEVE PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION?
- Donate to the Green Party: You can help us continue to campaign on changing our voting systems by supporting our fiftieth anniversary campaign. Find out how to and more about other activities we are putting on as part of the campaign throughout the year here.
- Join the Green Party: We are the only party that uncompromisingly has the plans and policies to tackle electoral reform. Join us today.
- Write to your MP: Tell your MP to support PR! Even if you know your MP is opposed, let them know you care and help MVM keep its records up to date. Write your letter here.
- Demand voting reform: Pro-PR organisations including Make Votes Matter are organising a mass lobby of Parliament, calling for voting reform. Save the date: Wednesday 24th May – details to be announced in February (check Make Votes Matter’s social media and websites).
- Read about how electoral systems can influence policy innovation (article mentioned by Owen Winter from Make Votes Matter during the event).
- Read Nation of Devils by Stein Ringen (book mentioned by Natalie Bennett during the event), on how a government persuades the people to accept its authority.
- Download this digital factsheet by Make Votes Matter on Proportional Representation.
- Molly Scott Cato highlights the unmistakable correlation between a fair voting system and tackling climate change in this article.